Sunday, February 12, 2012


                If I was trying to get someone to read the Fantastic Four I think I would hand them the origin issue and then tell them to skip everything until this collection. That isn’t to say that what happens between isn’t good, or important, but these stories are so damn good they will go back read all that and beyond it.  There isn’t a single issue in here that isn’t a giant sized insane concept story. The FF are fighting the Inhumans one minute, and then Galactus the next. It never lets up.
                A really big thing to note is that this is the collection where Joe Sinnott took over as regular inker for Vince Colletta. If you think an Inker can’t make a difference in a book take a look at the difference of what’s on the page. I’m not saying Vince was a bad inker, but Joe really got into the groove with Kirby. You got the sense that Vince was also inking other books, so he had to get in and get out. But Joe seemed to really take his time with the work. He got in there and did every little detail and black area that Kirby was drawing. He also seemed to have a better handle on Kirby’s action. When someone gets punched you really feel the motion and the explosion of impact.
                While we are on the subject of people who inked Kirby we have to talk about the man himself right? Kirby is one of my favorite artists of all time, and the work in this book is a big part of that. I just love the way he draws…well everything. I know Kirby isn’t known as someone who draws pretty girls, but I love the way he draws Sue and Crystal.  I don’t think anyone could have done a better job at these stories. From the Forbidden land, to the Negative Zone, then to Wakanda, Kirby can do it all and make all of it looking amazing.
                My one complaint about this book is the way Reed talks to Sue. I know that is was a different time, and you might think that was just the way a man would talk to his wife, but really he comes off as a big fat Jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment