Sunday, February 12, 2012

                The first thing that really stood out for me in this book was the art work. I’ve always been aware of John Byrne, but until now I hadn’t read anything by him. After reading this collection I can see why he is held in such high regards. The art work in here is fantastic. Everything about it is firing on all cylinders. It’s that crisp, but not hyper-stylized artwork I love in super-hero comics. I enjoy these Essential collections because they are printed in black in white, giving you a chance to really take in the artwork. I don’t think the art would be weaker in black and white, there are parts that would have been interesting in color, but for the most part I think the stories read even better without color.       
                And how about those stories: For the most part they are good. It’s the Jim Shooter age of Marvel Comics and his big push was as many panels and as many great stories as possible. There is a real sense of one story flowing into another, the way events in real life seem to lead one right into the next. Villains don’t simply show up at the X-Men’s door talking about world domination. There is an issue to issue buildup of their plan, before the X-Men get involved.
                There are of course a few negatives things. I liked the Dark Phoenix sage, but it seemed to drag on a bit. It might have been because the “saga” actually happens there is a slow build up to it. Cyclops, and others, keeps thinking about how strong Jean is becoming and wondering if she can handle that level of power. When it at last seems to be over they squeeze another two issues out of it. While I was reading it there just seem to be this giant part in the middle that I had to work my way through to get to the end.
                It was also a bit annoying to read all the recaps issue to issue. I know that this is really no one’s fault. When the comics were original published they were coming out month to month, and no one was thinking they might one day be printed in a 500 page collection. So they had to throw that recap in for the readers who were unable to get the last issue, or even the last couple. But for those of us reading all those issues back to back it was a bit annoying.
                Overall this was a really great read. It was a classic time in the X-Men comic, and for me it will stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment