Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Here is what I did today. This is one of my more designed pages, with the four tiers, two of the tiers in black and two with motion lines. It seems like many artist have these images and standard panels they use over and over. I’ve found that I have a few of this myself, like ending my stories with a panel that has no boarder. Many of my stories feature people fighting and I’ve noticed that I always draw the same punching panel over and over. You can see a bit of that shot in the fourth panel. When it came time to do this page I tried to find some other way of showing the fight. There seems to be an idea of doing really big panels when you drawing fight scenes, to show the energy and speed of those events I suppose. But why not go the other way? Those were the things I was thinking about when I drew this page.
                It is funny to me that all the way up to high school I wanted to work in Superhero comics, drawing Spiderman, or Batman, and now that I’m publishing my own work I’ve still got that superheroes in my blood, but a servilely perverse version of it. Rather than drawing Spiderman fighting Doctor Octopus, I’m drawing a to-do list fighting a comic book page. What would I of ten years ago think about that? Could he possible understand all the steps and struggles it took for my current style and stories to come about? Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment