Saturday, June 25, 2011

                Try to follow this if you can, because it gets a bit confusing. In March of this year I decided to do a 32 page comic in 4 months. Not really a small timeframe, but it was for me. Well I just wanted to let everyone know that I’ve done it! I reached the desired 32 pages before the end of the 4 month deadline. And yet the comic is still not done. Confused? Let me explain.
                When I started the book in March I had no idea what I was going to do at all. My plan was to do the whole thing, the writing and drawing, in the four month time. So what ended up happening was that I drew pages which will not make the final cut into the book. This is something I often do. I have a stack of comics that were drawn for an issue but I later decided to leave out. Someday I will publish a whole issue of just rejected strips. For the most part I want to have the stories be longer. When I was younger I had a difficult time making longer stories. Now I find the stories are getting longer and longer. There just isn’t as much room for those shorter stories. I would rather have a book of 3 ten page stories then one long story and a bunch of one pagers.
                So I was working on the “main” story for Ugly People 2, and at the same time I was doing a bunch of one pagers. Well I do not think the one pagers will be in the final version. I have a few pages left to draw on two different strips, that are longer stories, and I think those 3 will be what is in the book.
                This is all just a long winded way of saying that I did do the required page count in time, but I failed to finish the comic on time. I think if I use this method for doing a comic again, where you have a set deadline, it will just be for the penciling and inking stage. Not the writing part. Also I will make sure I know exactly what will be in the finished version.

No comments:

Post a Comment